St Mary, Holme Cultram, Abbeytown

Holme Cultram St Mary was built in the 12th century, a former Cistercian Abbey, founded by monks from Melrose Abbey. It is one of the few remaining Cistercian abbey churches still used as a place of worship. It is the resting place of the Earl of Carrick, father of Robert the Bruce. Open daily, tours given by prior arrangement. As one visitor described it, the Abbey is "a must for those wanting peace, tranquility and beauty."

Following a major fire in 2006, the church is undergoing restoration work.

Please support the work of our church with a donation.

1st Sunday:10.30am - Family Service
2nd Sunday:10.30am - Holy Communion
3rd Sunday:10.30am - Morning Prayer
4th Sunday:10.30am - Holy Communion
5th Sunday:United Service at one of the Churches in the Parish

Holme Cultram Abbey was founded in 1150 by Cistercian monks from Melrose Abbey in the Scottish Borders. Prince Henry, son of King David of Scotland, conferred the foundation charter.
At this time the Solway area belonged to Scotland
It is the grand daughter of Rievaulx Abbey and daughter of Melrose Abbey.
The Abbey was successful. After draining the nearby marsh they amassed vast amounts of land, being used for the farming of sheep, pigs, and orchards, also having their own salt pans and fishing, but by now the area was in England and because of its proximity to ‘the borders’ was in constant danger from the Border Reivers.
In 1538 with the dissolution of the monasteries the land passed to the Crown, and the monks were dispersed.
The centre of the Abbey has survived as the Parish Church, with the rest of the Abbey falling into disrepair. The Church you see today, 6 of the 9 bays of the nave of the original Abbey, is the result of restoration begun in 1703, and further work done in 1883 and 1913.
Following an arson attack in 2006, the Abbey has under gone a major re-building programme, which is still on going. The Abbey is open daily

The entrance to the Abbey is through a superb Norman Archway

Robert the Bruce's father, Robert de Bruce Earl of Carrick, is buried here.

The innards of Edward I also buried in the Abbey 

The new Memorial Window in the chapel features Christ's entry into Jerusalem

Designed by Helen Whittaker 

Further information on the history of the Abbey can be found on the Holme St Cuthbert History Group site

Holme St Cuthbert History Group